LightForce Therapy Lasers is one of the leading manufacturers of medical therapy lasers. Their devices are used to administer an estimated 1.2 million treatments every month worldwide, and they are currently utilized by over 250 college and professional sports organizations.
In addition to sports therapy, LightForce Therapy Lasers are suitable for a wide range of care applications including physical therapy, podiatry, dentistry, and potentially cancer treatment. But how does this drug-free and non-surgical technology treat so many acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions? The secret is photobiomodulation.
What Is Photobiomodulation?
Originally developed during the 1960s, the photobiomodulation (PBM) process directs light particles to deep within soft tissue. There, light elicits photochemical and photophysical alterations at both molecular and cellular levels.
By stimulating cellular metabolism in such a fashion, PBM impels the body to accelerate tissue regeneration and wound healing. Simultaneously, this increases circulation, reduces inflammation, and alleviates chronic pain.
The greatest advantage to PBM is that it solely utilizes the body’s own natural healing abilities. It does not force the body to do anything that it is not already naturally equipped to do.
What Conditions Can LightForce Therapy Lasers Treat?
Non-pharmacological and non-invasive PBM treatment is cleared by the FDA for temporary relief of muscle and joint pain. Though, PBM’s applications extend far beyond that limited sphere of treatment. LightForce Therapy Lasers devices are commonly used to treat a wide range of clinical conditions, including:
- Muscle strain
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendon pathology
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Joint swelling and disorders
- Subacromial impingement syndrome
- Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)
- Muscle, myofascial, osteoarthritis, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and neck and back pain
What Are the Benefits of LightForce Treatment?
We have already touched on the two key benefits of LightForce Therapy Lasers. In addition to PBM’s vast range of clinical applications, the treatment requires neither medications nor surgery which could pose harmful side effects. But the widespread popularity of LightForce Therapy Lasers is attributable to several more of PBM’s unique benefits.
- It’s comfortable. When laser treatment is applied directly to the skin, you will only feel a gentle and comforting warmth. Many patients enjoy the experience, likening it to receiving a massage. The experience only becomes better thanks to how quickly laser therapy can eliminate pain!
- The treatment is safe. Laser therapy can neither damage soft tissues nor irritate the skin. Direct exposure to lasers can damage the eyes, but no treatment is ever performed on a patient who isn’t wearing special protective eyewear.
- Fast appointments. Treatment time varies depending on the size, depth and severity of the condition. But because therapeutic lasers are so potent, treatments typically only last between three and ten minutes. Perfect if you’re running on a busy schedule!
- It’s infrequent. Patients are typically only encouraged to receive treatments 2 to 3 times per week during the onset of a laser therapy program. As time progresses and the patient’s condition improves, treatment frequency may decline. Most courses of laser therapy only require 6 to 12 in-office visits.
- Treatment is convenient. Laser therapy does not interfere with the patient’s ability to live their current lifestyle in any way. There are no recovery periods following treatments. Plus, there is no need to avoid certain movements (unless otherwise advised by the therapist).
Would you like to learn more about the benefits of LightForce Therapy Lasers? We’re standing by to answer all of your questions about this revolutionary and versatile treatment. Please contact Acucare Physical Therapy today to schedule a consultation at our clinic in Sioux Falls, SD!